10 Smart Ways to Search Online
1. Search within specific WebsiteIf you’ve ever tried using a website’s native search tool, but haven’t been successful, you definitely aren’t alone. Smart way to get better results when searching any particular site is to use Google.
site:lifewire.com flat screen TV
2. Set Reminder in GoogleIf you need to keep track of the timer online or have an alarm go off in a while to remind you to do something, the Google’s there to help. Simply type “start a timer” into the search engine to do just that.
3. Search Movies & Music directly in Google SearchTo find direct download link for movies, search
[movie name] -inurl:(htm|html|php|pls|txt) intitle:index.of “last modified” (mkv|mp4|avi).Example:
spider man -inurl:(htm|html|php|pls|txt) intitle:index.of “last modified” (mkv|mp4|avi)If you want to find musics, simply change the last part (mkv|mp4|avi) to (mp3|wma|aac|flac) It tells Google to show webpages with any of these terms: mp3, wma, aac, or flac.
You can also replace with terms of other file formats like pdf, zip, rar, etc.
4. Use Google to find Study Materials for your Exams
Whenever you need to study for an important test, google
site:edu [subject] exam
You’ll find tons of sample and similar exam questions.
5. Avoid price hike technique by e-commerce sitesWhen purchasing items online especially airline and train tickets, use incognito mode on your browser, because the prices might increase the more you revisit the item pages.
6. Don’t want country specific Google Search?Makes sure you stay on google.com and blogspot.com by automatically adding ‘no country redirect’ (‘/ncr’) to those URLs. NCR stands for No Country Redirect.
7. Clean your email boxTime to clean your email inbox. Search “unsubscribe” and unsubscribe from useless newsletters. Do it now!
8. Bypass YouTube sign on
Watch age restricted YouTube videos without signing in by adding “nsfw” before “youtube.com”.
Alternatively, replace watch?v= with v/. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LZM3_wp2ps to http://www.youtube.com/v/6LZM3_wp2ps.
9. Smart way to search in Craiglist
Find expensive stuff for cheap on Craigslist using the following search terms:
- new baby
These listings are usually from Craigslist sellers trying to offload stuff for cheap.
10. Access Offline PagesDid you find the perfect search result only to realize that the website is down? Fear not! You can use this Google power search trick to open a cached image of the page and still find the precise information you need. Google search to find the cached page is as simple as performing a regular search and then clicking a link to open the cached page.
- Search for a word, phrase, or entire website.
- Locate the specific page in the results for which you want a cached version.
- Click on the triangle to the far right of the URL (it’s right under the page title).
- Select Cached.